CASSERO DI PORTA SANT’ANGELO
The biggest medieval gate, fortified by Ambrogio Maitani in 1326, belongs to the XIV Walls.
Outside it presents three levels, of three different construction phases, each marked by the use of different materials. The first is of sandstone, like the walls of the same age. The second level was made with limestone, probably dating back to the ‘70s of the XIV Century; this part was expressly wanted by the “legato pontificio” (Papal Legate) Gérard du Puy, known as Abbate di Monmaggiore, who, considering the strategic importance of the place linked it to the fortress of Porta Sole and to the Porta di S. Antonio. The third level, made of bricks (1416-24), was projected by the Architect Fioravante Fioravanti, following the orders of the Lord of Perugia Braccio Fortebracci. The definitive transformation in keep, with trapdoors, slits and embrasures dates to 1479.
Restored several times during the following Centuries, since the ‘90s of the XX Century hosted the Museum of the City Walls and Doors. Currently it hosts "Musìca – Spread educational trail of ancient music instruments"
The Cathedral is one of the masterpieces of Italian art. Designed by Lorenzo Maitani, building began in 1290 under Pope Nicholas IV and was completed over the following two centuries with the addition of works by some of Italy’s great artists. Here on the afternoon of New Year’s Day there is a very special Mass for Peace with Gospel singers, a meeting of very different religious cultures that, thanks to the music, come together to create an unforgettable experience.
CASTIGIONE DEL LAGO
ROCCA DEL LEONE
The Theatre, constructed with the contribution of the town's magistrate Gneus Satrius Rufus around 20 B.C., was built with large rusticated blocks of limestone. It has two orders of arcades, of which the lower arcade and some arches of the upper arcade still remain standing. Remnants of some Opus Reticolatum—brickwork used in exterior walls typical of the ancient Roman architecture—are in the corridors. The cavea is subdivided into four wedges and the strips without steps were probably fitted with wooden stairs. The floor of the orchestra, paved with slabs of limestone, allowed for the drainage of rainwater into a large cistern positioned underneath, called the pulpitum. The frons scaenaes has two lateral rectangular niches and a central semicircular niche. The theatre could hold up to six thousand spectators and was among the largest at the time.
The Lion Fortress (Rocca del Leone) dominates the eastern part of the town of Castiglione del Lago, which juts out into Lake Trasimeno. The fortress's construction probably determined the town's name, through a process of fusion of sounds from the original name of the castle, the Lion Castle, Castillonem, then Castiglione. The current structure of the fortress has the shape of an irregular pentagon with crenelated Guelph-style walls, with the main angles defended by four towers; an imposing triangular keep (more than 30 meters high) is located inside the city walls. Work on its construction began in the early twelfth century, when Frederick II of Swabia was Emperor, to insert it into the central defensive system that, starting from Puglia, crossed the whole of Italy.