- Group lessons:These daily one-hour lessons will address topics normally included in traditional private lessons. As a student, you will receive instruction in instrumental technique (tone, articulation, intonation, expression, etc.), practice habits, and other related topics.
- Vocal program: This year’s vocal program will feature three elite voice teachers focusing on style, technique, theory, and performance skills. As a voice student, you will have the option to study the style of your choice. In addition, you will have the unique opportunity to perform with a variety of ensemble combinations, including the gospel choir.
- Ensembles: As a student in the program, you will have the opportunity to play in group settings with students of similar playing abilities. While the emphasis is on jazz, other styles (pop, rock, Latin, etc.) will be offered within the program. Ensembles will meet each day of the program, and you will perform in a concert during the final days of the event. All ensembles will perform onstage within the Umbria Jazz Festival circuit at the conclusion of the program.
- Theory and improvisation: As a student in this program, you will be taught music theory and how to apply it to improvisation, performance, and musicianship. This daily class will provide you with a basic understanding of chord/scale relationships in direct correlation with the improvement of your aural skills.
Activities Open to All Students
- Master classes: These will be lectures/demonstrations by Berklee faculty and guest artists (pending availability) from the festival on various aspects of performing, improvisation, composition, and personal experience. There will be a wide variety of topics, and at times there may be group participation. Questions and group discussion will encompass part of the class, providing you with an opportunity to explore the artists’ opinions and strategies for success.
- Jam sessions: These daily after-hour jam sessions will be informal performances on the Berklee stage. They will be open to all students.
- Graduation ceremonies: The final two-and-a-half days of the program feature a series of concerts in which all students and all ensembles participate. Concerts will be held on the Berklee stage and also on an Umbria Jazz Festival stage. Families of the students are invited to attend these concerts.
Berklee at Umbria Jazz Clinics Venue
Scuola Secondaria di primo grado “San Paolo”
Viale Roma 15, 06121 Perugia (PG)